Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Positive Pregnancy Test and the days to follow

***Disclaimer--sorry for being a blog snob and asking you to comment on my blog not facebook. It wasn't because I didn't want people to comment. I just think of my blog as something more like my personal journal. I cherish each word of encouragement regardless of where you post it so post away!***


Around the 1st of December I realized that wow--it had been about 5 weeks since my last period. That's not normal...so tucked away I had a pregnancy test that I took bright and early (after a sleepless night which is very typical of me all through my pregnancies). It was positive and it was positive fast!

I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. With the other pregnancies I have tried and wanted to be creative when I tell Ed but really I'm not all that creative so I have failed each time. This time I put a cute little riddle together which really wasn't a riddle I don't think something to the effect of we had been married 15 years and now we were going to be parents of 3. I don't remember exactly what the riddle was but it was silly and Ed didn't figure it out so I had to tell him what I was trying to tell with the riddle...once again...FAIL!

Ed was excited too. We hadn't completely decided we were going to try for 3 kiddos so it was a nice surprise for both of us. Ed started telling people immediately. I had to slow him down a little bit so that we could at least tell family and close friends. It was so fun to watch him be this excited about this baby.

After the initial excitement and the telling of family and friends. The fear set in. This was my 4th time to be pregnant and the 2nd time it didn't turn out the way I had expected. We miscarried our 2nd baby during the 11th week. Since that miscarriage my doctor has ordered blood work to be done as soon as I have a positive pregnancy test to make sure my hormone levels are rising as they should be. So in week 6 I had 2 blood tests done and got the call from the doctors office that everything looked great. Numbers were where they should be and rising. Praise the Lord. A little rest for my mind.

But as the days past the fear and worry began to set in. I would text my closest friend and confess the fear of another loss and ask her to pray for me. She was faithful to pray. I was faithful to continue to worry. When I am consumed with worry and fear it is hard for me to function. It is hard for me to get out of bed much less eat or drink or take care of my kids. So day by day I would fight this fight. I would pray that I would 'feel' sick so I would 'feel' pregnant. I prayed that the fear and worry would go away but most of all I prayed that everything would be ok with this baby.

I had my 1st OB visit scheduled for January 6th so I knew that sometime before that we would have an ultrasound and we would see the baby and the sweet heartbeat. That day couldn't come fast enough...



1 comment:

Al's World said...

Precious friend, I have been trapped by that fear, I am so sorry you had to experience it...I love you..I wish I knew what to say to take away the pain, so I have been praying scripture over you..."Where does my strength come, my strength comes from the Lord the maker of Heaven and Earth"...know I am here, anytime