Friday, July 24, 2009

We're Grown Ups Now--When Did This Happen?

In the past couple of days I have been thinking about all the life things that have and are happening in the lives of the people I love and care deeply about. Somehow, somewhere along the way of life I became a grown up, my friends have become grown ups, and life has happened. The idea of being invincible and nothing bad happening has gone away completely and the reality of life has settled in.

Becoming widowed mother of very young children, loosing a parent, loosing a brother or sister, loosing a child, loosing an infant. A marriage facing infertility. Marriage ending in divorce. Becoming the care giver for a parent. Having to make tough choices a child hopes to never have to make for their parent. Being jobless. Raising children and having those really bad days that you aren't proud of. Depression. Suicide. Cancer.

That is just a quick list that I can think of many of you reading this could add more to that list of the things we hope we never have to face. How do people who don't know Jesus personally face the things of life? How do they survive?

I don't know when I became a grown up. And I'm still not sure what I want to be. I do know I want to help others face life with Jesus.

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:58

3 comments:

Fether said...

Kathy....so true..we spend our childhood wanting to be grown up and now that we are we miss the simple pleasures of being a child. As long as we let God take control of all the grown up stuff and lean on our childlike faith we can face anything He brings our way.
Thank you for the reminder to continually pray for all those circumstances surrounding us.

Giles Family said...

Kathy, you're a great writer. Love this post :) Love you!

Becki Francy said...

Kathy -
Great post - I am feeling like a grown up lately - and I am seeing all the struggling...I am with you - how do some do it without Jesus?
Beck