Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My treasure

Life has been a little testing at our house over the past couple of weeks. Many times I have thought I just don't have what it takes to raise our son. A wise person who I go to often for advise and encouragement gave me a picture that I hope I never loose site of.

Make sure you are raising your children because they are your treasure not your trophy. Too often I am concerned about what other people think. I get caught up in how I look as a parent as a result of how Gunner is acting. This wise person, who happens to be my sister, encouraged me to think of Gunner as my treasure. It changes your perspective pretty quick. Of course I want Gunner to be well behaved and do what mommy and daddy ask him to do, especially when we are in public, but the fact is that's not always going to happen. It's a process that we are in the middle of and if I make it about me he will never get it and probably end up resenting me in the long run.

Gunner loves life. He loves his Mommy, Daddy and Baby. He loves his Meemaw and Pawpaw. He loves his cousins. He loves his friends. He loves going to church. He loves playing inside, outside, it don't matter--he loves to play but not by himself, he wants to share that joy with others. He loves to get donuts on Saturday mornings with his Daddy. It's a double bonus if its nice enough outside to go play mini golf. He loves going to the lake house. He loves Brocco (his Pawpaw's black lab). He loves to ride his bike, look for puddles and go down hills. Honestly there aren't too many things he doesn't like--well maybe eating and getting his picture taken but I think that's just because he is required to sit still!

Gunner is my treasure. I love him more than life itsself and look forward to seeing what God has in store for this little man.

OK--I was going to post some pictures of him but it is taking For Ever and I just don't have time to wait. I'll try again later. Right now my treasure needs some attention!

No comments: